Undergraduate Learning Community
The 2014-15 IRW Learning Community -- Feminist Optics: Gender and Visual Studies
The 2014-15 Learning Community will explore the past, present and futures of visual studies and feminist theory’s impact on the field’s development. How has feminist scholarship challenged practices of looking? From interpretations of the female nude in art history to studies of fashion sign systems, pornography and digital culture, feminist scholarship has opened up new avenues of engaging the visual world and has been foundational to the field of visual studies. Possible topics include:
- Feminist art
- Film, video or photography studies
- Participatory art, activism and pedagogy
- Earn 1.5 course credits;
- Attend IRW Distinguished Lectures, class field trip, and watch films;
- Create intellectual community with peers and network with scholars, activists, artists and professionals;
- Acquire presentation skills;
- Develop a research project;
- Meet only once per week, Thursdays from 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.;
- Food and fun in an intimate seminar setting!
**Apply online to join the Fall 2014 Learning Community.**
The IRW Learning Community is supported by the Division of Student Affairs, Office of Residence Life.